If you’ve been trying to get pregnant, you’ve probably been told to “just relax and let it happen.” While the advice is typically well-intended, it can be frustrating for couples trying to get pregnant. Welcomed or not, it turns out there may be some validity to that advice. Studies show that high levels of stress can interfere with fertility in both men and women.
Chilling out is easier said than done, so here are some tips to help you de-stress and promote fertility:
1. Sleep on it – A good night’s rest allows your body to recover from daily stress. Too little sleep can cause hormonal imbalances, wreaking havoc on your ovulation cycle. The exact number of hours needed per night will vary person to person, but if you’re fighting to find energy and feel like you’re running on empty, you may need to catch some more Zzz’s.
2. Write it down – Journaling can help you rid of emotional pressure and process through some feelings you may not be comfortable sharing with your family or friends. Sometimes it’s helpful to express your stress on paper and then rip it to shreds for a physical release of that tension.
3. Schedule time to enjoy your hobbies – Continuing the activities you enjoy is essential to reducing stress and dedicating time for yourself can take your mind off of pregnancy. A walk along the Centennial Trail or taking pictures of the gardens at Manito Park can be the refresher you need to feel at ease.
4. Evaluate your life - Is there a sudden stress, such as a new job, death in the family or upcoming event that is affecting your daily feelings and activities? Identifying and addressing these stress triggers can help you avoid or remove yourself from stressful situations.
5. Connect - At Center for Reproductive Health, you aren’t alone. Our staff is here to help and can refer you to a counselor or local support group.
Reducing stress will not only help your fertility, but can improve your quality of life, overall. By taking a few of these steps, you can better handle anxious moments and defeat stress.
At the Center for Reproductive Health, we understand the importance of becoming a family, because we are one. As a leader in reproductive technologies, we're dedicated to compassionate and individualized treatment to help you find your path to parenthood. Our innovative techniques and advanced medical care provide comprehensive chromosomal profiles, resulting in reduced miscarriage rates and higher implantation rates for healthy embryos. We can make building your family an exciting reality, with support every step of the way.